From: William J. Kammerer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2002 12:29 PM
To: WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing
Subject: The payer centric model

Payers are required to use standard transactions if the provider
requests that they do so.  Somehow the messages have to be gotten to the
provider.  In the typical supply-chain scenario using VANs and
interconnects, the sender merely "pushes" the interchange to his VAN.
Then the sender's VAN itself will worry about delivering it to the
receiver's mailbox (if coincidentally subscribed to the same VAN), to
another VAN to which the receiver is subscribed, or even directly to the
receiver (using a "push" model) if the receiver has arranged that
service with his VAN.

It's not the sender's (the payer in our case) problem to arrange
mailboxing for the receiver.  Quite a bit of time, trouble and money can
be saved if each payer didn't think it had to "play" VAN.  And it
certainly shouldn't be the problem of the receiver (the provider in our
case) to go traipsing off to 20 or 30 payer websites to retrieve
standard transactions, going through each payer's notion of a logon
process and mailbox retrieval.  It makes sense to learn that process for
your one and only VAN or clearinghouse - but it hardly contributes
anything to administrative simplification for the provider to have to
repeat that process for every payer with whom he expects to exchange
standard transactions.

In a lot of ways, the payer-centric way of doing e-business reminds me
of the DDE conundrum, whereby each payer persists in expecting every
provider to learn the intricacies of his own eligibility web page rather
than merely supporting the 270/271 standard transactions in a
first-class manner as required by the TCS rule.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859
+1 (614) 487-0320