Kim:

You may have noticed by now that it takes a *real* long time for
postings on the WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing listserve to be propagated.  This
is probably why I received 3 copies of your e-mail! - not having gotten
any confirmation, you probably just re-sent, thinking the original was
lost. It may take anywhere from a few minutes to 12 or more hours for
e-mails to be propagated.  I think there is serious constipation going
on in the WEDI listservers which can in the way of fluid discussions.

Anyway, I have seen your message and, indeed, we are addressing this
multiple-personality business.  We want to get to the point where a
provider (and anyone else, for that matter) chooses his own
identifier(s) from any one of the valid HIPAA IG ISA sender ID domains.
He shouldn't have to "remember" all the different "names" each payer has
set up for him - i.e., no more payer-assigned ISA IDs for providers.

On the other hand, our recommendations do allow a receiver (the payer,
for example) to specify different ISA IDs for himself:  the CPP could
say, in effect, that when a provider sends real-time transactions she
should send them to a particular EDI address using a payer-specified
receiver ID; alternatively, for batch claims, they would be sent to a
different EDI address using an altogether different ISA receiver ID.

In summary, with the CPP electronic partner profile, *you* tell the
world what names you have chosen to be known by.  Of course, your ISA
receiver ID may have been assigned to you by your own clearinghouse -
that's a matter between you and the clearinghouse you freely chose to do
business with.  But when sending standard transactions, a provider
shouldn't have to go through the rigmarole of using a sender "name"
assigned by the payer.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859