Ronald:

I don't think EDI would necessarily have looked any different if it had
been devised in the "TCP/IP world."  Look at MIME:  it's not any
prettier. If XML had been available from the outset, maybe EDI would
have used XML for its syntax.  But you have to admit there's nothing
inherent in the syntax of ANSI ASC X12 or UN/EDIFACT that keeps EDI from
being a first-class Internet passenger.  Peter Barry has suggested that
payers with elaborate, web-based DDE services could allow providers to
upload standard X12 interchanges right into a field in the DDE system,
presumably wrapping EDI in MIME for an HTTP POST or something like that.
And high tech messaging services like ebXML MS don't care whether
they're carrying payloads of X12 or XML.

The HIPAA standard transactions based on X12 and NCPDP already exist
(and maybe new interactive ones based on the UN/EDIFACT syntax will be
added into the mix later), and we can't do anything about it even if we
wanted to. We should concentrate on devising recommendations for means
of routing these packages safely, securely and reliably.  If the next
incarnation of HIPAA standard messages were based on XML schemas or core
components, we'd still be left with the same problems we have today:
how to get the claim to the payer, or the remittance to the provider.
If we had a Healthcare CPP and Registry, they would work
"out-of-the-box" for XML just as well as for EDI - trust me.

EDI's market acceptance has nothing to do with the "protocols" it's
built on:  the syntax (ASC X12.5 and X12.6, ISO 9735 or XML) is the
simple part - the semantics are difficult. FTP, SMTP, MIME and other
Internet protocols have far fewer variables to deal with, and hence are
simpler to interoperate.  But I'll grant you one thing:  if the
(Healthcare) world were standardized on a single transport layer
(TCP/IP), it would make things far less painful.  For example, we
wouldn't have much work left to do to customize the CPP DeliveryChannel,
as it's already designed around TCP/IP protocols like HTTP and SMTP. And
I certainly agree that "there should be no need to duplicate the sender
identification effort with another login process much like BBS's and FTP
require."  You should only have to logon once to your own ISP, VAN or
CH, and not duplicate that process for every payer you might conceivably
access; that's the whole point of eliminating payer-centric mailboxes.

As an aside, Open Source isn't the answer to all that ails us. Most of
us don't still live at home with Mom, and therefore we have to charge
for our labor.  Open Source is often a model which works well for
hardware manufacturers (i.e., using Open Source infrastructure software
to encourage development for their platform), but I've never seen it
applied to e-commerce applications.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859