Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 10:54:04 -0400
To: WEDi/SNIP.ID.&.Routing[routing]@wedi.org.comp
From: William.J.Kammerer[wkammerer]@novannet.com.comp
Sender: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Route through email and attach EDI files

Deepan:

Assuming your Practice Management System processes HIPAA standard
transactions, and you intend to transport point-to-point, then I guess
you have no choice but to support most conceivable means (protocol and
packaging) of sending and receiving interchanges.  An alternative is to
support just the more common methods (whatever they are in healthcare:
we need to determine this), and then encourage your customer to use a
VAN or clearinghouse as an intermediary if the payer requires anything
weird (e.g., 3780 BSC).  Your core-competency is probably not
communications software, so it's possible you're limited to the
protocols supported in whatever third-party comm package you've perhaps
integrated into your system.

Just like with the Cleos, IpSwitches and EDIINT packages of the world,
your customers will have onerous manual setup for each of their payers.
I hate modems and comm settings (and printers), so I am only too
relieved to have a single Internet connection to the world - that
simplifies things quite a bit.   But even with the internet (FTP, SMTP
and HTTP) and the payer-centric mailbox model, there's still manual
setup for each payer required.  Eventually, if every payer (or their CH
proxy) supported the CPP, you could write your software so your customer
would be able to "insert" the CPP (Electronic Partner Profile) to
auto-configure the communications settings.  And then even later on,
your software could be made smart enough to search the Healthcare CPP
Registry so CPPs wouldn't have to be manually handled.  That's the
"vision thing," anyway.

In the meantime, you're on your own.  So to help us out in determining
requirements for the EDI address (DeliveryChannel) part of the CPP,
perhaps you could give us the details of communication methods demanded
in your marketspace - in effect, the protocols supported by payers.   We
need "meat" and detail.  I vaguely know there're some common ones
supported by payers (e.g., XMODEM, XMODEM-1K, YMODEM, YMODEM-G, ZMODEM,
etc. etc.), all requiring dial-up into the payer's system.  Will payers
and CHs be supporting SMTP, EDIINT, FTP or HTTP over the Internet?  If
so, please share the details.  These aren't competitive trade secrets.
This is also an invitation to payers and clearinghouses to share their
supported communication protocols.

Again, if you and Julie Thompson really have reason to think the Final
Security regulations might "completely change the choices available for
transaction routing," tell me what you believe - if only your
speculation - and your rationale for believing so.  I'm not a
mind-reader, and would prefer to work with detail rather than vague
pronouncements.  I doubt seriously that any of the final regulations
will specify (or disallow) particular transport methods, or change the
requirement that encryption be used when transmitting PHI over the
public Internet.  Common sense will dictate that "encryption" excludes
"home-grown" cipher techniques, whether or not explicitly stated in the
regs:  it would be irresponsible to use any but peer-reviewed encryption
algorithms (in effect, "standards" such as the symmetric IDEA, RC2, RC4,
DES, DES3 and Blowfish, and the asymmetric RSA), or PGP and X.509 PKIs.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859
+1 (614) 487-0320