From: Fody, Kenneth W. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, July 11, 2002 4:00 PM
To: 'WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing'
Subject: RE: CPP and COB

William:

>From a practical perspective, COB is indeed currently up to the provider
--
because that is the way COB exists today.  Payers really don't exchange
data.

However, under HIPAA, COB is a transmission from any covered entity --
payer
or provider -- to a payer.  So the door is open for a payer to require
another payer to accept a direct COB transmission, or for a new business
model to develop.

Does it behoove a Payer to accept a COB transmission from a provider,
HIPAA
notwithstanding?  Absolutely.

You also asked what agreement needs to be in place for COB between two
parties.  From a transaction perspective, I'd say a trading partner
agreement.  There may be other language needed from a business
perspective,
for example if the provider is a participating provider, or perhaps
getting
the provider to agree not to bill the member while awaiting the COB
payment.
But I'm not sure the latter point is relevant to this discussion.

With regard to your question about which type of COB I was referring to
when
commenting on routing issues, you are correct that I was speaking of
Payer
to Payer.  I think you are correct saying the Provider to Payer to
Provider
model is simpler, or at least more consistent with what will routinely
take
place.

But all of that being said, look for Payer to Payer COB to pick up in
the
future.  First, if I were a provider, I'd rather one of the Payers just
send
payment in full and let them figure who pays what.  If the carriers and
providers don't reach agreement on that concept, then how long will it
be
before someone lobbies a legislature or regulators to require carriers
interact that way?  I don't mean the last point to be negative, just
realistic.

Ken Fody