Mere existence of CPPs pointed to by the Healthcare CPP Registry tends
to lend credence to them.  Therefore, front-door security (perhaps for
accessing, but certainly for contributing to the Registry) is extremely
important, and should be bullet-proof - it's much more than a screen to
keep the flies out! Security often seems to be treated by Registry
affectionados as an after-thought, probably because it is such an
intractable problem. I'm hesitant to say there'd be a Registry unless
security is well-thought out.

Without first-hand knowledge of who is sharing a CPP with you, you're
depending on the Registry security infrastructure to ensure the
integrity of any data contents you obtain from the registry.  For
example, if I ask the Registry for the CPP of the Insurance company
whose NAIC is 60054, I want to have assurance that it was indeed Aetna
who created the CPP I get back!  Up to this point I've been loathe to
state the truth, lest folks be scared away from the whole concept of a
registry:  security (based on interoperable PKIs) is more than 50% of
the Registry problem!!

Again, we have two technologies on our platter: the CPP itself, which
can be designed in the near-term, and then the Registry.  The CPP
electronic partner profile can be distributed "out-of-band" without the
use of an automated secure Registry.  If Mimi Hart qua provider and
Bruce LeGrand qua payer decide they want to exchange HIPAA standard
transactions, it will be a big time-saver if either can point the other
to his own CPP.

Bruce would probably have had to document in any case things like 1)
what transactions he supports (all, in the case of a big payer), 2)
where the companion guides reside, 3) what transactions go where, 4) his
EDI addresses, and 5) how to obtain his X.590 certificates which senders
will use to encrypt data to him over the Internet. The CPP will provide
a consistent means of documenting this stuff - providing, in effect, a
template to make sure we all do it somewhat the same way. This saves
Mimi time, in that she only has to get used to one format for this
commonly shared information - she doesn't have to wade through each
payer's notion of documentation for the same kind of stuff.

It works both ways:  Bruce, by reading Mimi's CPP, will immediately know
which transactions she supports; there's no need for Mimi to fill out
that kind of information on some enrollment form - it's already
available in the CPP she gives to Bruce.

Note that there are fewer issues involved with certificates when CPPs
are manually exchanged.  Since Bruce himself told Mimi where to find his
certificates - via the CPP - they can be self-signed and Mimi can
automatically trust them. We have no problem with interoperable PKIs and
incompatibilities of CA-issued certificates. Mimi can safely assume no
scoundrel will intercept her claims because it was Bruce himself (via
his CPP) who told her where to send claims and how to encrypt them.
Even though Mimi might be receiving all her inbound data over one
Internet EDI address, she can be assured that 835s purporting to come
from Bruce are really his by checking the digital signature against the
public key in the certificate Bruce gave her.

Assuming Mimi trusts Bruce (that he really represents Big Payer), and
Bruce trusts Mimi (in that she really represents Big Hospital), manual
exchange of CPPs (or more likely, their URL pointers) will work very
well.  All this stuff works equally well if Mimi's dealing with a payer
who has chosen to use a clearinghouse - it's just more indirect: e.g.,
Mimi may have to chase down the CPP of the payer's Clearinghouse to
obtain its (latest) EDI addresses and the CH's certificates.

Eventually - some time way post H-day - Mimi's translator and
communications software may automatically configure themselves off of
the CPP.  But that's not necessary today in order to reap the benefits
of a standardized means of exchanging partner profiles: our freebie XSLT
style-sheet can render the CPP in a human-readable form.

So far this use of the CPP doesn't preclude Bruce or any other payer
from "vetting" his partners.  Mimi would have had no idea where to send
claims to Bruce, unless he "invites" her by sharing his CPP.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859
+1 (614) 487-0320