On Wednesday, 25 August 2021, 14:20:47 BST, Theo Markettos
<t...@markettos.org.uk> wrote:

>RISC OS currently uses some undocumented firmware interfaces

Please tell me this is a joke. That code needs to come out ASAP, and should
never have been checked in.

> More generally, better performance can be achieved by the emulation
> departing from exactly modelling the hardware - emulating every single
> register in a complicated I/O chip is a lot more work than an interface like
> HostFS where you slim it down to just what you need.  So it may be something
> 'good enough' to boot RISC OS is better than a perfect emulation.

The best approach I can see at this point, is to fork QEMU, fix the firmware
simulation at the FW version RO5 is using (I'm assuming the binary blob for
this is loaded by RO; if not you've got some issues in general anyway), and add
the convenience features like HostFS. Then feedback any relevant changes/fixes
to mainline and let them go up whatever upstreaming process is in use there at
their leisure.

This would give you a reasonable emulation of a more modern platform more
suitable for new software, and is a hell of a lot better than the idea of
forking RPCemu (since the relevant changes would never be mainlined) to weld in
ARMv7 and the like.

Sarah