Kicking popt out of rpm doesn't exactly specify where popt should go.

Establishing a bona-fide upstream for popt is necessary
to really split popt from rpm. That is a positively, rather than
a negatively, expressed goal, and so is likelier to succeed
in the long run.

Ralf: Can we set up a single popt mailing list and
a popt distribution directory through rpm5.org?

That's likely enough signification to establish popt as an
upstream project. Then I will remove popt from the rpm-4_5
branch in rpm sources.

OTOH, I'm not sure what problem is actually solved. However I've
been asked for separate popt every 6 months or so for years and years.