On Jun 3, 2007, at 6:50 AM, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

On Sun, Jun 03, 2007, Jeff Johnson wrote:

Kicking popt out of rpm doesn't exactly specify where popt should go.

 Establishing a bona-fide upstream for popt is necessary
 to really split popt from rpm. That is a positively, rather than
 a negatively, expressed goal, and so is likelier to succeed
 in the long run.

 Ralf: Can we set up a single popt mailing list and
 a popt distribution directory through rpm5.org?

The distribution directory simply can be http://rpm5.org/files/popt/
(that's one of the reason why I initially moved the "rpm-X.Y" subdirs
into an extra top-level subdir "rpm" anyway). An own mailing list
technically is also easy to provide, but I recommend to not create
an own mailing list just for POPT. POPT is a neat little library but
I doubt we will have enough traffic just related to POPT. Wouldn't
it be fully sufficient to _distribute_ POPT seperately from RPM in
its own subdir but still keep the discussions on rpm-devel? If no,
I'm happy to create a [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list. I just think
this is a little bit overkill... Anyway, please already start filling
http://rpm5.org/files/popt/ now. This separate directory is certainly
very useful.

I too think a separate mailing list is overkill, but the issue is
signification, not otherwise. So [EMAIL PROTECTED] please.

(aside)
Which reminds me: Donnie Barnse's RPM Howto should
likely be put out to pasture.

BTW, for POPT 1.10.8 and 1.10.9 there are no tarballs, too. I
recommend to move the popt-* files from http://rpm5.org/files/rpm/
to http://rpm5.org/files/popt/ now and extract the two corresponding
tarballs for 1.10.8 and 1.10.9, too. Ok?

Perfect. Yes, no 1.10.8 and 1.10.9, I was deeply embarassed when
I boogered up MacPorts by not carefully testing a separate popt
tarball. That's when I discovered how much software uses popt ...
 That's likely enough signification to establish popt as an
 upstream project. Then I will remove popt from the rpm-4_5
 branch in rpm sources.

 OTOH, I'm not sure what problem is actually solved. However I've
been asked for separate popt every 6 months or so for years and years.

IMHO as long as POPT is available as RPMs and Tarballs in its own
http://rpm5.org/files/popt/ this should be really fully sufficient.

Something more than tarball and binary rpm is needed. I have
been producing both tarball and binary rpm's for popt since forever.

But the issue is "should be" and "really" for the OSS world, not you or me.