On Aug 18, 2008, at 8:26 AM, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

[...]
| error: rpmdb: skipping h# 42 blob size(4140): BAD, 8 + 16 * il(959996723) + dl(825374516) | error: db4 error(-30986) from dbcursor->get: DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND: Requested page not found

Notice the error at the end. I can easily recover from this problem
by just running "openpkg rpm --rebuilddb". This then once again shows
the same error but at least results in no more errors during the next
"openpkg rpm -qa". BUT! The problem then is still not gone: "openpkg rpm
-qi openpkg" then shows:

| # /usr/opkg/bin/openpkg rpm -qi openpkg
| package openpkg is not installed

It now happened just again on a different instance. Interesting aspect
I found out this time:

<... snip ...>

Notice the "--db-rebuild" instead of "--rebuildb" here and the fact
that with "--rebuilddb" I usually loose the "openpkg" entry while with
"--db-rebuild" I do not.

To explain: "--db-xxxx" are RPM aliases to OpenPKG's "rpmdb" addon
script and its "--db-rebuild" actually does a full "dump" and "restore"
with the Berkeley-DB tool (for details see the attached script) while
"--rebuildb" is RPM-internal.

Very interesting that the full dump/restore via external tools is
able to resurrect the database without information loss while RPM's
--rebuilddb seems to kick away data. Hmm...

I'll study the script, but my initial guess is "coincidence" wrto -- rebuilddb vs --db-rebuilddb.

You most certainly want to remove (and recreate) a damaged cache before attempting --rebuildb
however.

The damaged cache can change what --rebuilddb "sees" as the contents of an rpmdb and end up doing more harm than good. I've seen bug reports where --rebuilddb over a damaged cache
loses an entire rpmdb. Caveat emptor ...

Specifically
    rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__db*
    rpm --rebuilddb
is recommended for careful professional work when DB_PAGE_NOTFOUND is seen.

(aside) And no, the cache removal should not be automated in -- rebuilddb any more
than RPM should be insturmented with an interface to radar dishes
scanning the sky for possible meteor strikes within 2m of keyboard ...