Am Dienstag, 7. Dezember 2010, 16:50:27 schrieben Sie:
> Try focussing on a --with-prefix=/usr/lib/rpm solution, with bin/* and
> lib/* sub-directories. The main advantage using --with-prefix=/usr/lib/rpm
> is that _EVERYONE_ will hate it so much that I can ask
>       What SHOULD be done?
> pretty easily. Sad that I have to be in everyone's face to get a simple
> answer, but that is the "real world", sigh.

The main reason for my rather complicated thinking is that I want to archive
two things:

1. Have a completely functional embedded Ruby, even in a chroot(). This
includes the bindings as well, of course. Because it would be silly to be able
to expand Ruby code in a spec file without having access to RPM functionality
like macro expansion.

2. Have the Ruby bindings available system-wide whenever someone wants to use
them. I.e., 'echo require "rpm"|ruby' shall work as expected if someone
decided to install an explicit ruby bindings package.

Perhaps to naiive?

> There are sound engineering reasons for --with-prefix=/usr/lib/rpm
> when rpm --root is _EXPECTED_ to have common functionality. A
> single prefix is easy to configure, pre-pend, and pass to Mount(2),
> while symlinks pointing all over the place simply cannot be dragged
> into a chroot.

The symlinks would be placed in /usr/lib/ruby/... and link to the originals in
/usr/lib/rpm. So no symlink fiddeling for RPM during chroots.

I can, of course, always double-install stuff.

                        Eric