2011/1/27 Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com>:

> On Jan 27, 2011, at 2:25 PM, Anders F Björklund wrote:
>
>> Jeff Johnson wrote:
>>
>>> There's a deep political rift aka labelCompare() involving missing values
>>> that needs to be sorted through here.
>>
>>> Meanwhile I no longer give a rat's ass crap about legacy. But you might want
>>> to coordinate the change with Ander's and smart before we have Yet Another
>>> Food Fight
>>> in the rpm-python cafeteria.
>>

> Thanks for comments.
>
>> Here's my current implementation:
>>
>> Python: # ignore distepoch
>> C:      /* ignore distepoch */
>>
>> Seems to "work" for EVR compare ?
>>
>> Seriously, if you want to see the comparison change in Smart you should
>> open a bug report (aka feature request) on Launchpad. Just like #697895
>>
>> Otherwise it will use the same as now:
>> - name
>> - archcolor(arch)
>> - vercmp(version)
>> - archscore(arch)
>>
>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~smartpm/smart/trunk/view/head:/smart/backends/rpm/rpmver.py
>>

> But the issue here is parallel to labelCompare() using rpmevrFoo methods.
>
> Parallel -- when different answers are returned because of missing value
> conventions -- is in noone's interest imho.
>
> But that is the path that Per Oyvind is on with two different sets
> of patches that are confusing different (and incompatible) missing value
> conventions.
>
> I've avoided -- so far -- the need for any rpm-python discussion by leaving
> labelCompare()
> _EXACTLY_ as always. What hasn't changed will not break. Until Per Oyvind
> starts
> refactoring the code ;-)
>
> Yes its all very silly and stoopid. But I'll rot in hell before I get blamed
> for
>        You broke yum by changing rpm-python @rpm5.org!
> Which was the suggestion that Per Oyvind coordinate a tricky change first.
Don't worry on labelCompare(), I find it rather inpractical and
tedious to use compared
to just passing EVR strings to evrCompare() for rpmEVRparse to take care of
parsing it, rather than parsing it myself with ie. regexp and passing
the parts of
it as a tuple..

I'm afraid of touch existing functionality in the python bindings
myself already anyways
due to concern about legacy compatibility, by adding new functions I
at least won't
break anything existing, causing troubles for others.. ;)

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind