On Feb 1, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Silvan Calarco wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 February 2011 16:14:39 Silvan Calarco wrote:
>> meanwhile I'll send you the
>> rpm commands to reproduce what I do.
>
> Resolved (and stupid me)!
> While preparing the list of rpm commands to send you I noticed that between
> each rpm invocation the script was removing the db cache:
>
> rm /var/makedist/root.tmp/var/lib/rpm/__db.00* -f

Eeek! That's a tad bit of overkill, but I've seen worse solutions.

> I made this workaround a long time ago (years) to fix problems with rpm 4 and
> just removing this fixed the problem, does it make sense?

If *not* removing the __db* files "fixes", then yes it makes sense.

An explanantion consistent with what you appear to be saying is that a header
in an rpmdb was mmap'd directly from the file system. When the __db*
file was removed, then the data underneath the pointer diverged and
became inconsistent with other data returned from an rpmdb. The
refcnt on the open fdno used in the mmap from the __db* cache files
prevented the data from just being added to free blocks on the file system.

All of the above is just a guess however.

> Sorry for not finding it myself, afaics rpm 5 is doing its job well!

NP. I *love* being a lazy schmuck ;-)

I'm still pursuing arm development, OpenMAMBA/arm is one of the few current arm
distros I see around. So I'll be happy to help test your arm iso's with
qemu when you are ready.

And I should have a OpenMAMBA VM setup in the next couple of days.