On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 21:13, Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com> wrote:

> On May 23, 2011, at 7:30 PM, Robert Xu wrote:

>>> Yes you shouldn't need that patch with @rpm5.org.

>>> This patch shouldn't hurt nor help much (its specific to --queryformat).
>>>
>>> The basic structure of --singleSprintf isn't radically different. Punt
>>> this one to me if you want and I'll figger out how/where the patch
>>> should be merged. At a first approximation you can likely run
>>> without the patch (but that's just a guess based on where --qf
>>> tends to be used).
>>
>> I will assume for now that this isn't needed. When it comes to actual
>> testing, we'll see.
>>

> You won't be able to display "strong" and "weak" dependencies without this
> patch. So if the following patch is gonna be useful, this patch is gonna
> be needed too.

Ah. Then add it to --vendor=suse too then...

>>> This patch is needed if you want to build packages like SuSE
>>> does, with "weak dependencies" in explicit tag data. I can carry
>>> this @rpm5.org under
>>>        #ifdef RPM_VENDOR_OPENSUSE
>>> if there is interest.
>>
>> Please do. :)
>>

> todo++. Might be a week or so while I get strapped in on SLES 11.4 ...
>
> Note that very few packages need/use Suggests: et al. So most builds
> will Just Work, and don't need "weak dependencies".

Actually, there's been a lot of Recommends/Suggests/PreReq in SuSE
spec files lately,
so most builds might actually not work.

*sigh* they still use PreReq...

> Well there _IS_ a need, just a litter of Suggests: et al hints isn't
> the best approach imho.
>
> The real problem is "preference" and that MUST be general, not
> just a handful of usage case semantics tied to some hints like Suggests:.
>
> Part of "preference" is attaching some metric so that choices can be ordered.
> The hard problem is coming up with a "preferences" metric both positive and
> negative
> that works.

I hope Bretzn/AppStream can come up with something...
Maybe if they could wire PackageKit through zypp to put these attrs.
to better use...

> GeoIP used to sort multiple mirrors by "fastest" is a useful metric.
>
> The "preference" equivalent is "best" or "worst" (and their weaker forms
> "better" and "worse"
> and there's no obviously objective way to score that. Yes there are
> approaches,
> I tend to favor statistical approaches like "voting" (but there are issues
> there too
> with malicious tampering with the voting results).
>
> There's a number of approaches, but asking a vendor or a packager
>        Is this package "good"?
> isn't the right approach (and that is built into Suggests: et al). End users
> have
> preferences, not vendors/packagers. Locales (one of Klaus's examples) have
> this problem:
>        There's like 300+ locales but no person speaks/reads that many
> languages.
> The metric there is (my guess) matching LC_ALL or some other list of locales
> where a subset of all possible locales are then marked with an improved score
> as being
> "preferred".

Too many tags! AHH!

--