I have bdb 5.1.19 installed at /workspace/altopt/ (with sub folders
being include, bin, lib, etc).
/workspace/altopt/include contains db.h and dbsql.h

Here's a snippet of what I use to autogen and configure the rpm build process:
/bin/sh ./autogen.sh
./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/workspace/altopt/include -I/usr/include"
LDFLAGS="-L/workspace/altopt/lib -L/usr/gnu/lib -L/lib" \
  --prefix=/workspace/altopt \
  --enable-shared \
  --with-db=external \
  --with-dbsql=external \
  --without-db-tools-integrated \
  --with-zlib \
  --with-bzip2 \
  --with-xz \

And yet I see that ./configure looks for a subfolder db51 and tries to
use that. This is resulting in the build not finding the DB_SEQUENCE
data structure, resulting in a build failure.

What else should I set such that the external DB is picked up ?

-- Sriram
Belenix: www.belenix.org