On Jun 9, 2011, at 2:59 PM, Sriram Narayanan wrote:

> I have bdb 5.1.19 installed at /workspace/altopt/ (with sub folders
> being include, bin, lib, etc).

Note that there is a ABI breakage between db-5.1.19 -> db-5.1.25. You
might want to start using db-5.1.25 to avoid later pain.
\
ABI breakage == you MUST recompile everything linked against
db-5.1.19 in order to move to db-5.1.25 or you WILL segfault.

> /workspace/altopt/include contains db.h and dbsql.h
>
> Here's a snippet of what I use to autogen and configure the rpm build process:
> /bin/sh ./autogen.sh
> ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/workspace/altopt/include -I/usr/include"
> LDFLAGS="-L/workspace/altopt/lib -L/usr/gnu/lib -L/lib" \
>  --prefix=/workspace/altopt \
>  --enable-shared \
>  --with-db=external \
>  --with-dbsql=external \
>  --without-db-tools-integrated \
>  --with-zlib \
>  --with-bzip2 \
>  --with-xz \
>

> And yet I see that ./configure looks for a subfolder db51 and tries to
> use that. This is resulting in the build not finding the DB_SEQUENCE
> data structure, resulting in a build failure.
>
> What else should I set such that the external DB is picked up ?

Yes. There are two places (iirc) that
        #include <db51/db.h>
are hard wired.

Create a symlink on some include path to where ever you built Berkeley DB
is one easy way to avoid.

The other is to patch rpm (grep "db51" */*.[ch])
to do something else instead.

Yet another is to untar db-5.1.X into the top level directory, do
        mv db-5.1.x db
and build --with-db=internal (there's also --with-dbsql=internal needed).

hth

73 de Jeff

The hard wired path isn't likely to be changed because its hugely
complicated to test all possible ways of installing Berkeley DB.

If anything,