On Jun 10, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:

> I've been trying to reconcile the behavior between rpm and deb packages in the
> way their directories are handled.
>
> In rpm, we can set the directories to "own" in various ways.  If there is a
> conflict between two packages owning the same directory -- first-in wins and
> that's where the permissions/owner/group are selected.  (correct me if I'm
> wrong)

That's likely (but based on ancient memories of a performance speed-up
to avoid creating already existent directories ... not that mkdir is slow, just
that is what was originally implemented like 1997).

But that explains first rather than last. I could look at the code: so can you
        rpm -Uvv --fsmdebug *.rpm
should spew every system call performed.

> In deb, directories are not owned by any package, they're just created as an
> artifact of the package installation.  All of the packages in the system are
> expected to have directories with the same permissions, owners, group or the
> package is broken.  I assume this means a similar first-in wins strategy as
> well.
>
> Is there a way in RPM to change this strategy to create a true conflict
> (install
> failure) to identify these situations?

There's no configurable way ... but changing opens a walloping amount
of pain because RPM will *again* have to justify its reliability if
change occurs.

I plain and simply don't give a hoot unless a sound
engineering reason is given for the change.

Change for the sake of change isn't a sound reason, nor is consistency with
the Debian Borg mind meld, nor is introducing Yet Another Way That RPM
Doesn't Install Anything because of lack of vendor QA.

> Also, what is the impact to RPM if a lot of packages all own the same
> directories (such as /bin, /lib, /usr, etc..)?  [or alternatively have no
> packages own the directories and fix the owner/group/mode with some type of
> scripting]

Lemme answer a question with a question:

        Why are you asking? Are you seeing "impact" or just enquiring?

Owning all directories in every package so that
        rpm -qa | wc -l
and
        rpm -qf / | wc -l
are identical is what I think should be done on even days of the month.

On odd days of the month, I tend towards the schizoid alterantive POV, that
no directory should be in "packages".

And on leap days I use dpkg ...

> Any help understanding RPM's behavior in these conditions performance or
> otherwise will help me figure out how to reconcile the behaviors.. thanks!

Everything that rpm does while installing is displayable with

        rpm -Uvv --fsmdebug *.rpm

Any "quirks" aren't from the state machine, but rather from foolish
fiddle ups for "unowned directory" behavior w SELinux and other insanities.