I've been trying to reconcile the behavior between rpm and deb packages in the
way their directories are handled.

In rpm, we can set the directories to "own" in various ways.  If there is a
conflict between two packages owning the same directory -- first-in wins and
that's where the permissions/owner/group are selected.  (correct me if I'm
wrong)

In deb, directories are not owned by any package, they're just created as an
artifact of the package installation.  All of the packages in the system are
expected to have directories with the same permissions, owners, group or the
package is broken.  I assume this means a similar first-in wins strategy as
well.

Is there a way in RPM to change this strategy to create a true conflict (install
failure) to identify these situations?

Also, what is the impact to RPM if a lot of packages all own the same
directories (such as /bin, /lib, /usr, etc..)?  [or alternatively have no
packages own the directories and fix the owner/group/mode with some type of
scripting]

Any help understanding RPM's behavior in these conditions performance or
otherwise will help me figure out how to reconcile the behaviors.. thanks!

--Mark