On May 11, 2012, at 2:46 PM, Tim Mooney <tim.moo...@ndsu.edu> wrote:

> In regard to: Requires: python(foo) = bar, Jeffrey Johnson said (at 2:11pm...:
>
>> Matthew Dawkins mentioned an interest in better python module
>> dependencies in RPM earlier today.
>
> I'm still running rpm 5.1.9 and meaning to upgrade, but I've been meaning
> to ask about ruby dependencies.  For better or worse, ruby is becoming
> a big party of my life.
>
> 5.1.9 isn't doing anything for automatic ruby module dependencies, has
> that improved with any of the more recent RPM releases?  Ruby complicates
> things somewhat over other scripting languages because of the
> not-yet-complete transition from standard modules to "gems", so automatic
> dependency tracking has to do some extra work for ruby, I think.

There's rubygems.rb written by Per Oyvind in "production"
use in Mandriva for more than a year now and I haven't
seen/heard serious issues (but I can't easily tell how
much ruby use there is: I do know that ROSA's ABF is
making some serious use of ruby 1.9.3 but using "rvm"
not "rpm" for installation. I looked a bit at "rvm"
and was quite impressed that it succeeded so well.
Meanwhile the very ida of running multiple versions
of ruby and modules out of a per-user shadow tree
in ~/.rvm drove me to some serious drinking to forget
what I saw ;-)

> Also, if I were looking to settle on a particular stable version of rpm
> for the next year or so, what's the recommended stable version to pick?
> Just 5.4.latest, or something earlier?

rpm-5.3.11 is "production", rpm-5.4.x will be rather active
until mid-late summer preparing for ROSA 2012.

About the only real difference between rpm-5.3 <-> 5.4 is that
embedded sqlite appears ready for production use, and sqlite3
for an rpmdb will likely re-appear, as well as the ability to
push package metadata into multiple other sqlite3 databases.

The embedded sqlite3 still has some minor (10->60KB) memory
"leaks" (technically they are not "leaks" because they
are not recurrent, but I'd rather not see the flaws because
I use valgrind on rpm daily).

There are buildbot's and "continuous integration" running at
        http://harwich.jbj.org:8010
You can easily assess stability of rpm-5.4.x as I proceed.

>> All of these are python scripts are generating *.dot output. So one approach
>> to better
>>      Requires: python(foo) = bar
>> would be to write a parser for *.dot format (which is pretty damn trivial,
>> even
>> sed(1) is almost enough) to automagically generate better python module
>> dependencies.
>
> I wrote a brain-dead BuildRequires dependency generator for all my local
> specs that generated a .dot file, but had real trouble getting graphviz
> to display it.  I would love to know what options people are using with
> graphviz to get a reasonable display of 1800+ nodes, some of which have
> 50-100 edges connecting them.

Hehehe … yes distro "everything" graphs broke every display
format I tried when I looked at various RPM based linux distros
a while back.

Using graphviz on Mac OS X (used to be very very nice, dunno if
still actively distributed in *.dmg) and choosing PDF as a display
was the _ONLY_ means I could find to handle large dependency graphs.

I still think a tree map rather than nodes <-> edges is a
better easier to understand display format for "packages"
because of the ability to map multiple attributes into
size/color/adjacency/labels/shapes. At some point all you
have is a huge snarly yarn ball with dotty.

hth

73 de Jeff