On Mon, Dec 13, 2021 at 10:07 AM Lukáš Hrázký <lhra...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2021-12-10 at 17:08 +0100, Daniel Mach wrote:

> > I understand your point about auditing, but does DNF have to handle
> > everything?
> > There should be better options of tracking filesystem rollbacks than
> > DNF's history database.
> >

> Maybe, but the history DB still contains a log of events as they
> happened over time, I don't think that belongs to /usr.

How about:

For read-write /usr store any database describing /usr state in
/usr/lib/sysimage
For read-only /usr store any database describing /usr state in
/var/lib/dnf with a /usr/lib/sysimage symlink pointing to it
/var is always read-write so any database describing /var state goes
in /var/lib/dnf

This suggests that anything that can describe state, should have
separate databases for /usr and /var. I don't know to what degree dnf
touches various top level FHS directories: /var /usr /etc /home and so
on. But I wonder if the history databases should separately track the
things being touched?

--
Chris Murphy