On Wed, 2008-11-12 at 21:57 +0000, Peter wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:09 PM, laurent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > That's not (yet) stated in the doc, but the code
> > for rpy2.riniterface.__init__ tells it:
> >
> > 1- look for R_HOME
> > 2- if not R_HOME, try to get R_HOME from an executable R in
> > the $PATH/%Path%
> > 3- if still nothing and win32, try to get R from the registry
> >
> > L.
>
> That's a slightly different order from rpy1 (which was R_HOME,
> registry, PATH).

Hopefully for the better.

>  Its important that R_HOME is first so the user can
> easily over-ride the automatic detection (e.g. if they have more than
> one version of R installed).

The idea is that both R_HOME and PATH are specified by the understanding
user.
Using the registry is considered a fallback for the case R_HOME and PATH
cannot be used, and this is a win32 machine.

Having R_HOME, registry, PATH in that order causes unnecessary
differences between UNIX and win32 version (and potential headaches when
troubleshooting).

> If I can find the time this week I'll try and test this out on my
> Windows machine - but no promises.

Great if you can.

>   From memory the registry gives the
> base folder, and you have to add the "bin" directory to get the full
> path for the DLL.
>
> Peter
>
> P.S. I would change this error message from
> rpy2/rinterface/__init__.py (lines 24 to 26)
>
> raise RuntimeError("R_HOME define, and no R command in the PATH.")
>
> to:
> raise RuntimeError("R_HOME undefined, and no R command on the PATH.")
>
> or more explicitly:
> raise RuntimeError("Could not locate R.  The R_HOME environment
> variable is undefined, and there is R command on the PATH.")

Looks helpful.

L.