On Thu, 2008-11-13 at 08:43 +0100, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[...cut...]

> Now we are trying to make the switch to rpy2.

Note that the porting effort does not have to be made in one go.

rpy2 has a module to emulate rpy's behavior, and have it interplay with
the rest is possible. It is currently a little clunky, and I'd like to
have it better, but unfortunately I do not have infinite time.

Example:

import rpy2.robjects as ro
import rpy2.rpy_classic as rpy
rpy.set_default_mode(rpy.NO_CONVERSION)

# rpy2.robjects
rletters = ro.r['letters']

# rpy
alphabet = rpy.r.paste(rletters, collapse="-")

# rpy2.rinterface
alphabet.getSexp()[0]

>  Using the RDataFrame
> constructor won't do it probably, since the order of the data will be lost.

On the contrary. The constructor is making sure that your are giving an
object in which the order must be known (not a dict).

> That is at least what I understood from the rpy2-documentation.

I know. The documentation is far from clear/perfect (and for that part,
very incomplete on the top of that).

> Constructing the data frame in R (by using read.table) makes us save the
> numpy array to the harddisk first and then read it again in R via
> read.table(), which is what we would like to avoid.
>
> Is there an obvious way to do this? Is there more information on TaggedList
> instances?

Beside
http://rpy.sourceforge.net/rpy2/doc/html/rlike.html#module-rpy2.rlike.functional

there might only be unit tests, then the source code. ;-)