On 11/26/2013 02:13 PM, Laurent Gautier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With rpy2-2.4.0 getting closer, I am wondering about it:
> https://bitbucket.org/lgautier/rpy2/issue/171/license-is-the-agpl-making-sense
>

> L.

This is kinda interesting, since R is GPLv2+ and rpy2 requires R to
work. My question for clarification, does rpy2 link to R in such a way
that it meets the linking requirements of GPLv2+? If so, I'm not sure
there's any point to releasing as something else (primary LGPL in this
discussion).

The twist you ask about, should it be AGPL. Well that depends do you
want people who host web services that utilize rpy2 to be forced to
release their code? Under GPL, someone could build a service that let's
people use R (say via django+rpy2) but not be required to release
modified code unless they distribute the source to someone outside their
company.

So my understanding is if you go AGPL anyone making such a service will
have to release the entirety of their code changes including the django
parts if they operate such a website. Some would say this is a little
heavy handed if you want to encourage business around hosting services.
The flipside, which is works out sometimes is that you let people go by
the dogfood principle, where if they built such a service they are
encouraged to contribute back to the projects they utilize.

Since rpy2 isn't explicitly a web library (not javascript), I think AGPL
might going further than necessary. GPL seems sufficient to me to follow
the R community.

This Faq from an AGPL application seems to be helpful:
https://civicrm.org/agpl-license-faqs

Note AGPLv3 gets complicated in it's compatibility only being with
GPLv3. AGPLv1 is not compatible with GPLv2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affero_General_Public_License

Thanks,
Alex