based on Xiaohu's comments here is a revision to fix the minor technical errors I made earlier (I want to get it right because Tony will incorporate into the collection)

Lixia
PS: going through the text I realized the phrase "using DNS reverse lookup" is a bit misleading -- it is NOT about lookup from IP address to DNS names as the phrase literally means.
RANGI critique

RANGI is an ID/locator split protocol that, like HIP, places a cryptographically signed ID between the network layer (IPv6) and transport. Unlike the HIP ID, the RANGI ID has a hierarchical structure that allows it to support ID->locator lookups. This hierarchical structure addresses two weaknesses of the flat HIP ID: the difficulty of doing the ID->locator lookup, and the administrative scalability of doing firewall filtering on flat IDs. The usage of this hierarchy is overloaded: it serves to make the ID unique, to drive the lookup process, and possibly other things like firewall filtering. RANGI ID uses 8-byte for the administrative hierarchy. More thought is needed as to what constitutes these levels, the use of "DNS reverse lookup" vs DHT for the ID-Locator resolution and their relations to administrative boundaries.

The RANGI draft suggests FQDN->ID lookup through DNS, and separately an ID->locator lookup which may be DNS or may be something else. This represents additional cost compared to ILNP design where FQDN lookup produces both ID and locators. Can one quantify the gain by one additional lookup to justify the cost?

RANGI provides strong sender identification, but at the cost of computing crypto. Many hosts (public web servers) may prefer to forgo the crypto at the expense of losing some functionality (receiver mobility or dynamic multihome load balance). While RANGI doesn't require that the receiver validate the sender, it may be good to have a mechanism whereby the receiver can signal to the sender that it is not validating, so that the sender can avoid locator changes.

In terms of scaling the DFZ routing, RANGI's solution closely resembles that of ILNP based on locator rewrite at border routers. Architecturally it seems best to put the mapping function at the end host (versus at the edge). This simplifies the neighbor aliveness and delayed first packet problems, and avoids stateful middleboxes. Unfortunately the early-adopter incentive for host upgrade strikes me as weak at best.

RANGI suffers from the mobility race condition (there is no mention of a home-agent like device), though my personal opinion is that host-to- host notification combined with fallback on the ID->locators lookup (assuming adequate dynamic update of the lookup system) is good enough for the vast majority of mobility situations.

RANGI uses proxies to deal with both "legacy IPv6" and IPv4 sites. RANGI proxies have no mechanisms to deal with the edge-to-edge aliveness problem. The edge-to-edge proxy approach dirties-up an otherwise clean end-to-end model.

RANGI exploits existing IPv6 transition technologies (ISATAP and softwire), but it seems to me that these transition issues are orthogonal and don't need to be specified in RANGI drafts per se. RANGI only need address dealing with legacy IPv6, which it appears to do adequately well.