Ok, here is the depersonalized RANGI critique.

PF

RANGI critique

RANGI is an ID/locator split protocol that, like HIP, places a
cryptographically signed ID between the network layer (IPv6) and
transport. Unlike the HIP ID, the RANGI ID has a hierarchical structure
that allows it to support ID->locator lookups. This hierarchical structure
addresses two weaknesses of the flat HIP ID: the difficulty of doing the
ID->locator lookup, and the administrative scalability of doing firewall
filtering on flat IDs. The usage of this hierarchy is overloaded: it
serves to make the ID unique, to drive the lookup process, and possibly
other things like firewall filtering.  More thought is needed as to what
constitutes these levels with respect to these various roles.

The RANGI draft suggests FQDN->ID lookup through DNS, and separately an
ID->locator lookup which may be DNS or may be something else (a hierarchy
of DHTs).  It would be more efficient if the FQDN lookup produces both ID
and locators (as does ILNP).  Probably DNS alone is sufficient for the
ID->locator lookup since individual DNS servers can hold very large
numbers of mappings.

RANGI provides strong sender identification, but at the cost of computing
crypto.  Many hosts (public web servers) may prefer to forgo the crypto at
the expense of losing some functionality (receiver mobility or dynamic
multihome load balance).  While RANGI doesn't require that the receiver
validate the sender, it may be good to have a mechanism whereby the
receiver can signal to the sender that it is not validating, so that the
sender can avoid locator changes.

Architecturally there are many advantages to putting the mapping function
at the end host (versus at the edge).  This simplifies the neighbor
aliveness and delayed first packet problems, and avoids stateful
middleboxes.  Unfortunately, the early-adopter incentive for host upgrade
may not be adequate (HIP's lack of uptake being an example).

RANGI does not have an explicit solution for the mobility race condition
(there is no mention of a home-agent like device).  However, host-to-host
notification combined with fallback on the ID->locators lookup (assuming
adequate dynamic update of the lookup system) may be good enough for the
vast majority of mobility situations.

RANGI uses proxies to deal with both legacy IPv6 and IPv4 sites.   RANGI
proxies have no mechanisms to deal with the edge-to-edge aliveness
problem. The edge-to-edge proxy approach dirties-up an otherwise clean
end-to-end model.

RANGI exploits existing IPv6 transition technologies (ISATAP and
softwire).  These transition technologies are in any event being pursued
outside of RRG and do not need to be specified in RANGI drafts per se.
RANGI only needs to address how it interoperates with IPv4 and legacy
IPv6, which through proxies it appears to do adequately well.