On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 11:18 PM, Dale W. Carder <dwcar...@wisc.edu> wrote:

>> Joel, in (msg05925), you wrote:
>>>
>>> The IPv4 Internet works. The routers, and the routing system, cope
>>> with the current pressures. To my way of looking at things, the
>>> question is how will the Internet routing system cope with growth.
>>> But, definitionally, there really is not that much growth left in
>>> IPv4.
>
> As an operator, I would agree with this, but I fear it only to be
> true until prefixes start having substantial resale value.  At that
> point, slicing and dicing would really begin once the money starts
> flowing.

I think it's not just 'for sale' but 'gosh /24 really isn't the limit
is it? lets start accepting and passing on /25../26../27...etc' Sure
it's not going to get to Avagadro's number of prefixes in v4, but 3B
is still way more than 2M (which is about where current vendors stop
hedging today).

In the end, ipv4 can get larger than current platforms can handle,
quickly, and future planned platforms as well. It seems that the same
problem exists regardless of protocol#.

> The RIR's appear to me to be gearing up for this to some degree.

yes.
-chris