On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Tom Vest <tv...@eyeconomics.com> wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2010, at 11:45 AM, Christopher Morrow wrote:

>>> Indeed, hence my "long term transitional coexistence" phrasing :-)
>>
>> Sorry, I meant 'there is no transition, there is only coexistence'
>> (from my perspective at least that seems to be what'll happen, of
>> course no crystal balls and only 5 computers ever will be needed.)
>>
>> -Chris
>> (and I get that you == danny get this, but for the record I think we
>> should be clear that ipv4 ain't going away, ever)
>
> Does "ain't going away" mean that you cannot envision any time in the future
> in which, say, IPv4 has the same impact on scalability concerns as RFC1918
> has today?

1918 does have scaling implications, if you carry it as internal
routes... at some ISP's internal routes are ~30% of the total table
size seen. It's not the same cost for everyone, but neither is a
single prefix in the global table :(

I also suspect (as I said before) we'll see longer than /24 routes in
the global table (not leaks/mistakes) before this is all over. I don't
like that concept, but I don't see an outcome that doesn't include
this.

-chris