On 2010-03-09 00:21, Tom Vest wrote:
> On Mar 8, 2010, at 12:08 AM, Noel Chiappa wrote:
>
>>> From: Tony Li <tony...@tony.li> IPv4 is done. Over.
>>> Cooked. Fully toast. It will either enter a black market
>>> where we deaggregate and no proposal will help, or we
>>> shift to v6 and v4 is irrelevant. In either case, we're
>>> not in time to do anything significant for v4.
>> Probably needless to say, I do not agree with this. There
>> are _definitely_ more options than DeathI and DeathII.
>>
>> Noel
>
> There is also DeathIII, i.e., we shift to v6 (or something
> else), but through some series of steps that preserves IPv4
> in place as a critical, non-substitutable input for
> provisioning routing services. If that happens, black
> market-driven deaggregation would not be inevitable.

I think you're neglecting what is actually happening now, which
is a (semi) permanent shift to a dual stack routing network
with various forms of multiprotocol interworking, including
but by no means limited to v6/v4 packet level translation.

That will allow the v4 network to survive for a long time,
but my personal guess is that it won't deaggregate beyond
about a million prefixes, because it will just be easier to
grow IPv6 after a certain point. Yes, there will be a fairly
messy grey or black IPv4 market and a lot of users suffering
from gangrene (double or triple NAT, or living on the wrong
side of NAT64).

IPv4-only providers will indeed end up as dinosaurs. Funny,
really, that it's the incumbent carriers who seem to be
at the lowest risk of this.

   Brian

However,