From: rrg-boun...@irtf.org [mailto:rrg-boun...@irtf.org] On Behalf Of Flinck,
Hannu (NSN - FI/Espoo)
Sent: Monday, March 08, 2010 6:39 AM
To: RRG
Subject: Re: [rrg] LISP does not implement Locator / Identity Separation

Hello Damien,

Robin had in his mail a following example that relates the issue:

Robin wrote:
  It might be messy, for instance, to make a single IPv4
EID have a separate EID prefix if it was in the middle of an existing
EID prefix.   If it was the 09 address in a 16 IPv4 address /28
prefix, then there would need to be a bunch of separate EID prefixes to make up
the full 16 addresses:

   0 -  7    /29 EID prefix mapped to ETR N.
   8         /32 EID prefix mapped to ETR N.
   9         /32 EID prefix mapped to ETR Z.
  10 - 11    /31 EID prefix mapped to ETR N.
  12 - 15    /30 EID prefix mapped to ETR N.

As the above example shows how hole bunching of an EID block will case multiple
entries. In Robin's example there are only  two ETRs (N and Z), but the same
hole bunching is likely to happening with many sites with their allocated EIDs.

- Hannu

Damien Saucez wrote:

> If  end devices do not renumber, then the mapping system needs to
> reconstruct its structure, or then the blocks will deaggregate.

I do not follow you? The cache, yes, it needs to do some kind of compression if
too many entries have to be installed, but again, in practice, you will have to
scale to your traffic, not the Internet, you can thus provision your routers
accordingly.

> Migration of a single subsidiary from an enterprise to an other is not
> a big issue, I can see that, but over the time migration of small
> sites seems to be quite common. They keep on coming and going. This
> will lead to the extreme case that there would be long prefixes at the
> very top of the mapping system if we stick to the original allocation.
> And then all of the map-requests will go through the top of the
> mapping system. At least with the DNS of today that is not the most ideal
> case.

I am not sure to understand the problem. A well design mapping system should
not take care of the number of mappings. Having a lot of prefixes for the same
entity will generate a lot of different mappings, but, the overall mapping
system does not take care about this. I see the mapping system as a set of
pointer, each node point you to a more specialized node until you arrive a node
able to provide you the mapping. So that, a node only need to know what is
under the responsibility of its neighbors. This is true that in a mapping
system like NERD we will have scalability troubles in the case of a lot of
small mappings, but ALT will not suffer it is correctly deployed.