On 4 June 2010 at 16:41:15 Tony Li sent:

> > But RRG's charter includes exploration of "addressing" problems.
> > An "address" is used to determine forwarding operation.
> > So it's natural to discuss forwarding issues here. Right?
>

> Ummm...  No, not in the full generality of how some people use that term.
>
> Again, we were chartered to discuss routing and addressing architecture.
> Forwarding issues typically involve interesting questions about how you can
> structure your FIB to minimize painful memory accesses, what type of memory
> to use, how it should be interconnected to your processing element, how to
> deal with ECMP, dealing with indirect next hops and the like.  All of those
> are out of scope.
>
> Regards,
> Tony

OK, I agree.
But there is one certain point of intersection of addressing, forwarding and
path selection:
As clear an address shows a node's topological location, that much it
facilitates hop by hop path selection to that node, says: decision making for
forwarding, sequentially.

So why not just embed next hops in an address: locator?