On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, Fred Baker wrote:

I view these terms as being mostly meaningful with respect to a conversation in progress. A system that forwards IP datagrams at the IP layer is an IP router; an IP router, unless completely static in its configuration, also exchanges datagrams with other routers in routing protocols, and is with respect to those protocols a host (it originates and receives datagrams directed to itself). Some IP routers contain built-in bridging technology, either software or hardware.

Ack. And to stress Scott's point from earlier, terminology will be technology specific. We'll call things what they're called according to a protocol. So what "address" means is fairly clear if you're talking "IP", or if the conversation is about "ethernet". Etc.

Obviously, given the discussions here, it's quite hard to pull out abstract, cross-technology/agnostic terms.

regards,
--
Paul Jakma      p...@jakma.org  Key ID: 64A2FF6A
Fortune: