[WES] well, I was being more general, but I do appreciate your response.

> - but how to do the transition from IPv4 and where are the incentives
> to move from IPv4 to IPv6 from e.g. enterprises point of view? Moving
> to IPv6 is a forklift upgrade, enterprises' homegrown or customized
> applications needs to be ported and that is very expensive.
[WES] The concept of IPv6 = forklift upgrade and therefore won't happen is FUD,
pure and simple. Yes, there will be equipment replacements required, and yes
some kit will *never* support IPv6. But ultimately, there is a period in time
after which most equipment purchased will support IPv6. In my own network, I
had to wait 2 years for a lot of our existing EOL hardware to be replaced for
other reasons (because it was out of memory or didn't support IPv4 features we
needed). Organically, as the new hardware was deployed, I had support for IPv6,
and didn't have to spend a bunch of money forklift upgrading my network to get
it. So it's about timing - waiting for the technology refresh that is going to
happen independently of IPv6. (n.b. I do realize that this is splitting hairs,
but it makes a difference because it's taking advantage of an investment we had
to make anyway instead of forcing a new one for something that doesn't generate
much in the way of incremental revenue)

As I said in my message to Noel, IPv6 is a foregone conclusion. IPv4 doesn't
scale to all of the things for which we need to have IP addresses today, let
alone in the future, except with NAT. NAT by nature, especially multiple layers
as in NAT444 makes IPv4 a second-class citizen. This is not to say that IPv4 is
going to go away anytime soon, but what you're talking about is a long-tail
problem. Right now, we have to make any IPv6-only things out there talk to the
IPv4-only internet because that's the majority, so we either do NAT64 or run
them dual-stack. In another year or two, enough things will be dual-stack that
IPv6 only connectivity won't be a major issue, especially within certain
communities of interest. And similar to when we started sticking gateways in
front of SNA implementations to make them speak TCP/IP, we'll stick gateways in
front of a rapidly shrinking pile of old kit with obsolete IPv4-only network
stacks so that they can reach the rest of the IPv6 world.

> But I think you will not stop to sell IPv4
> based services within 3-6 months - it seems that the ISPs are forced
> to deploy Carrier Grade NAT solutions (unfortunately), simply because
> of the customer demand. The IPv4 community is very large and too large
> to be ignored by any service provider (carrier or content)
[WES] No, we're not going to stop supporting IPv4 before it makes sense to do
so. However, CGN and its variants are stopgap measures until IPv6 support is
there, not a means to indefinitely prolong IPv4. They don't scale,  they don't
work with every application, and the less of them that we have to use, the
better. As I've been telling people who cling to legacy IPv4-only installed
base as a reason to focus on CGN or other IPv4 extension methods as anything
but a temporary, necessary evil - how long is it really acceptable to assume
that obsolete equipment should be able to connect to the network as it evolves?
In the US, we have a lot of obsolete mobile phones (including some
non-replaceable embedded OnStar modules in cars) that have no network to talk
to because there is no longer an analog GSM network, we have a bunch of analog
TVs that can't get signal with rabbit ears anymore, etc. I don't understand why
we continually try to shield end users from the unfortunate concept
  that their kit does eventually become obsolete and need to be upgraded to
continue providing the same service. Even worse, we try to force network
providers to invest in solutions to perpetuate this, thereby shifting the cost.

> thus there will be no killer application for IPv6,
[WES] Disagree. Fully functional end-to-end Internet is IPv6's killer
application. While it's true that your average home broadband user, and even
many enterprises really don't care whether their service is delivered over
IPv4, IPv6, or Avian Carrier, they do want it to work. And based on what I'm
seeing from ISPs who have been testing things like NAT444, the increasingly
subpar service that IPv4 will provide as we run out of addresses will serve as
an incentive to move to IPv6, even if it means that they have to buy a new
widget to do it.

>startups will not get
> funding if they deploy solutions only for IPv6.
[WES] Again, FUD. Turned the other way, if they develop only for IPv4, I
wouldn't fund them because they have no viable business plan for long-term
growth. I've been hearing that the US may start requiring companies to include
IPv6 readiness in their business risk in their 10K filings, underscoring the
notion that IPv6 is a requirement if you want to have a business that grows.
Yes, it may not make sense for the next Facebook to be IPv6 only today, but
definitely dual-stack, and there are plenty of places where IPv6-only does make
sense, and that will continue to increase.

> if I have
> an IPv4 address (or multi-homed solution) and can be part of the IPv4
> community, why should I care and invest in technology that will do no
> good for me - especially with all the financial problems in the old
> economies.
[WES] See above regarding killer app. I concede that enterprises who already
have enough IPv4 space may be slow to adopt IPv6 in their enterprise by
comparison to the growth markets, but they have people who want to be able to
work from home on a VPN, or work via a wireless device. You sure that's going
to work through NAT444?
Any business that wants to communicate with China, India, Africa, etc, or
provide services in the smart grid/Machine2Machine environment, or the mobile
network should be implementing IPv6. One of the primary deployments of LTE in
the US *requires* IPv6, even for internal services like IMS, and IPv4 is only
used when necessary. Another mobile carrier in the US has publicly stated
several times at places like NANOG and IETF mailing lists - "My devices are
going IPv6-only. I'm going to be running NAT64 to reach IPv4 content. So you
can either support IPv6, or I'll support it for you. Wouldn't you rather have
control of how your service performs towards my customers?"
And I think our colleagues in Beijing were quite clear about China's plans for
IPv6. Should I go on?

Wes George