I think I had this problem. The difference in behavior is due to TM using different shell environments due to how you are launching it. I think I did something like:

http://blog.dnite.org/2007/8/28/textmate-and-your-environment-variables

Just substitute in your shell PATH into the one in the plist file.

Carl