Ok - I have created a brand new Rails 2.3.14 app, made it bundler
aware (as of http://gembundler.com/rails23.html) and installed one
plugin.
This reproduces the problem described above.
Here's the app: (it does nothing, the only change is the use of the
"history" DSL keyword in application controller. History is coming
from the "rails_history" plugin):
https://github.com/jcfischer/rails2314_rspec_plugin
If I enable rspec in Gemfile for the development environment, this is
what I get:
➜  l_p_test git:(master) ✗ script/server=> Booting WEBrick=> Rails
2.3.14 application starting on http://0.0.0.0:3000NOTE:
Gem.source_index is deprecated, use Specification. It will be removed
on or after 2011-11-01.Gem.source_index called from /Users/jcf/.rvm/
gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/rails-2.3.14/lib/rails/gem_dependency.rb:
21./Users/jcf/dev/work/LENA/l_p_test/app/controllers/
application_controller.rb:13: undefined method `history' for
ApplicationController:Class (NoMethodError)     from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/
ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/activesupport-2.3.14/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:406:in `load_without_new_constant_marking'      from /Users/
jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/activesupport-2.3.14/lib/
active_support/dependencies.rb:406:in `load_file'       from /Users/jcf/.rvm/
gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/activesupport-2.3.14/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:547:in `new_constants_in'       from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/
ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/activesupport-2.3.14/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:405:in `load_file'      from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/
ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/activesupport-2.3.14/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:285:in `require_or_load'        from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/
ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/activesupport-2.3.14/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:250:in `depend_on'      from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/
ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/activesupport-2.3.14/lib/active_support/
dependencies.rb:162:in `require_dependency'     from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/
ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/rspec-rails-1.3.4/lib/spec/rails.rb:2  from /
Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@global/gems/bundler-1.0.18/lib/
bundler/runtime.rb:68:in `require'      from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/
ruby-1.8.7-p352@global/gems/bundler-1.0.18/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:
68:in `require' from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@global/gems/
bundler-1.0.18/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:66:in `each'      from /Users/
jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@global/gems/bundler-1.0.18/lib/bundler/
runtime.rb:66:in `require'      from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-
p352@global/gems/bundler-1.0.18/lib/bundler/runtime.rb:55:in `each'
from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@global/gems/bundler-1.0.18/
lib/bundler/runtime.rb:55:in `require'  from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/
ruby-1.8.7-p352@global/gems/bundler-1.0.18/lib/bundler.rb:120:in
`require'       from /Users/jcf/dev/work/LENA/l_p_test/config/boot.rb:119:in
`load_gems'     from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/
rails-2.3.14/lib/initializer.rb:164:in `process'        from /Users/jcf/.rvm/
gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/rails-2.3.14/lib/initializer.rb:113:in
`send'  from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/rails-2.3.14/
lib/initializer.rb:113:in `run' from /Users/jcf/dev/work/LENA/l_p_test/
config/environment.rb:9 from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/
gems/activesupport-2.3.14/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:182:in
`require'       from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/
activesupport-2.3.14/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:182:in
`require'       from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/
activesupport-2.3.14/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:547:in
`new_constants_in'      from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/
activesupport-2.3.14/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:182:in
`require'       from /Users/jcf/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.8.7-p352@bla/gems/
rails-2.3.14/lib/commands/server.rb:84  from script/server:3:in
`require'       from script/server:3
If rspec is disabled, then the server starts fine
So, while I understand the "your application is wrong" approach, I
think I have just successfully eliminated that possibility.
cheersjc