I tried to use the --cvs-exclude option, so I could fine-tune my
exclusions with a .cvsignore file in each directory, but did not
succeed.

Since I only want to synchronize a subset of my directories,
I use rsync like this:
  rsync --archive --update --include-from=filelist.lis -exclude "*" \
   /home/alford/ remote:/home/alford
But I find that in this situation the --cvs-exclude option is
apparently ignored. Perhaps it is only applied at the end,
after all other include and exclude arguments.
How do I get --cvs-exclude to work in this circumstance?

Also, how do I search the whole rsync list archive for all months?
I only found pages that let me search one month at a time.

Thank you
Mark

Mark Alford         Tel: +44 141 330 2517  Fax: +44 141 330 5183
Department of Physics and Astronomy, Glasgow University, G12 8QQ