"Sean J. Schluntz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >Maybe the solution is a --backup-script= option, that would call an
> >external script and hand it the filename. That way, each user could
> >customize it to their heart's content.....
>
> Now I though about that, but it seems like a way to really pound your system.
> Like doing a find -exec, if there are a lot of files then that script is
> going to get called a lot.
>
> -Sean

Maybe the solution here is to heavily document the fact that you can
pound your system to death using that option, just like using find
(wow, what a surprise ;-)

Then, of course, someone will come along with a program that reads filenames from
a pipe and does the backup, and they'll want --backup-pipe-process=/path/to/executable
or --backup-pipe=/path/to/pipe or --backup-daemon=ipaddr:port .  Hmm. Is
that good or bad? ;-)

rc

Rusty Carruth          Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825
ICBM: 33 20' 44"N   111 53' 47"W