On  3 May 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have problem with rsync in this ambient:
>
> linux kernel 2.0.34
> libc5
> gcc 2.7.2
>
> I have some warnings compiling and when I try to use rsync
> the files copied have all the same size (4096 byte).

> some log from compiling:
>
> bodpn:~/tmp/rsync-2.4.6# make
> gcc -I. -I. -O -c rsync.c -o rsync.o
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/types.h:4,
>                  from rsync.h:78,
>                  from rsync.c:23:
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:11: warning: empty declaration
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:12: warning: empty declaration
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:14: warning: empty declaration
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:15: warning: empty declaration
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:16: warning: empty declaration
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:17: warning: empty declaration
> /usr/include/linux/types.h:30: warning: empty declaration
> rsync.c: In function `is_in_group':
> rsync.c:128: warning: passing arg 2 of `getgroups' from incompatible
> pointer type

It looks like your C headers may not be happy with your kernel.  Are
they the version that came with your distribution?

For these to be useful, we need you to also post the section of
sys/types.h and linux/types.h to which the warning refers.

> File are padded
> to this size or troncated.

Wierd.  If the problem persists after compiling, please also send the
log file generated by:

  strace -ff -o /tmp/rsync.trace rsync someoptions somefiles

> I have tried to compile an old version
> (rsync 1.7.4) with the same results.  I have tried to compile rsync
> 2.4.6 on Red Hat 7.0 (where it works) static and porting executable
> on old linux system but when I try to run it, it write: kernel too old !

It has a point, you know. ;-)

--
Martin