From: Jeff Kennedy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 June 2001 08:15
To: Rsync List
Subject: question on switches and their order

Does it matter what order the options/switches are placed?  I ask
because I did an initial rsync of data from a NetApp to a SAN box using
the following:

rsync -avz --exclude=.snapshot /mail-data/ /mnt

The .snapshot directory is only useful to Ontap in this instance so I
did not want it transfered.  It seemd to work correctly and all was
fine.  Until I tried to run an update using the following:

rsync -avz --exclude=.snapshot --delete /mail-data/ /mnt

This transfered the .snapshot directory and filled the partition.  Is
the above incorrect?  Should it be like this:

rsync --exclude=.snapshot --delete -avz /mail-data/ /mnt

Also, do I need the 'z' if I have a gigabit network?  I think it would
put more strain on the filer than necessary and actually slow transfer
time.

Thanks.
--
Jeff Kennedy

error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.
For more information on the Air New Zealand Group, visit us online
at http://www.airnewzealand.com or http://www.ansett.com.au