Thanks very much Eliot and Matt. I didn't know about gzip storing the original
filename, thanks for the tip about the -n. As you say from rsync's point of
view I'm sure the difference is negligible.

Can you point me at any usage examples with rdiff. I've searched quite a bit
and apart from the cygwin man page and the "rdiff -?" usage message I'm unable
to find enough information for me to see how to use it successfully. In
particular I'm not sure I see how it would be used in my scenario. Currently
there's no local copy of the backup image file.

All the best,
Cheers,
Mark