On Tuesday 13 August 2013 12:23 PM, Joe wrote:
Is there any way at all to say which is the original file and which is
the hard link? I'll bet there isn't, although I' m not an internals guy
at all. If so, this would be impossible to do. The inode is the
"original", but all the file table entries to it are hard links (if
they're not symlinks.)

I guess the question is, what do you really want to accomplish?

The fact that more than one hard link exists probably means it really
does need to be backed up - or that the hard link shouldn't be there in
the original file system.

Joe