On Wednesday 28 August 2013 08:36 AM, Kevin Korb wrote:

Only when you choose to force a completely unnecessary chown between
the backup and restore process.

On 08/27/13 23:03, Sherin A wrote:
On Wednesday 28 August 2013 04:14 AM, Kevin Korb wrote: My opinion
on backups is pretty simplistic.  If a restore of my backup doesn't
bring me back to what I had when I backed up then I don't have a
backup.

If I have to restore something and the relationship between files
that were hard linked in the past is lost that might not be
something that I even notice immediately.  Maybe not until the file
is changed and now there are 2 versions of it in different places
since the relationship is gone.

Either way, not backing up the hard link relationships duplicates
data on both the backup and on any potential restore.

But even more importantly, the original question was about
excluding all files with linkcount>1 from backups.  That means that
any file important enough to have in more than one place would in
fact never be backed up at all.  That is crazy.