On 28.06.2020 16:46, Rupert Gallagher wrote:
> [...]

Linkdest means "more metadata-operations".

This is a hardlinked backup-store?

With or without deletion of older backups?

What is the age of that backup store?
Hardlink-farms age a filesystem pretty severely, IOW after some time the
freespace gets heavyly fragmented. IOW the HDD has to seek like hell to piece
the Meta-data & file-content into many small holes.

Personally i only use hardlink-farms on SSDs nowadays, HDDs "don't really like"
hardlink-farms.

> > What hardware? (From the numbers it is only clear that you seem to talk
> > about HDDs.)
> > What HDDs?
>
> source:
> ST2000NX0403  sata hdd
> Writing speed      : 117 MB/s
> Reading speed      : 99 MB/s
>
> destination:
> ST5000LM000-2AN1 sata hdd
> Writing speed      : 74 MB/s
> Reading speed      : 89 MB/s
>
> > What computer? (Laptop? Desktop? Server? Raspberry Pi? Age?)
>
> Supermicro A2SDi-4C-HLN4F, newish

That mainboard has a Intel Atom C3558 soldered to it. That's a 2017 Atom with
2,2 Ghz.

I have no personal experience with Atom CPUs, so i can only generically say:
"not exactly build for speed".

> > What "Buses"? ( a) Any modern "bus" is NOT saturated by those numbers. b)
> > All modern "buses" (Except USB, to some degree) are P2P, you can't even
> > connect 2 devices to the same bus. (Except USB, but there are usually
> > several controllers so you don't have to use same bus).)
>
> Supermicro CSE-M14TQC 4xSAS/SATA bay, connected with a CBL-SAST-0616(50cm)
> Mini-SAS HD to 4 SATA cable. The CSE receives the 4 sata cables, the mini-sas
> end is plugged on the main board.

AFAICT each HDD is in effect connected to a separate channel, so no contention
there.

> > With or without networking involved?
>
> no network involved
>
> > What Filesystem? What mount-options?
>
> FFS2

This mean either you are using a Flash Filesystem for a HDD, which would be
"odd".
Or you are using a BSD-Type OS. I would guess FreeBSD?

In both cases: No personal experience.

I mainly use Linux Systems with XFS as a filesystem. I personally hadn't had a
problem saturating most storages for more than a decade.
But i also use seperate Storage-types with different content. "Low AVG
filesize"-files i put on SSDs. And HDDs only get used for files with a largish
AVG filesize, mostly more than 10MB per file.
And i also use "rsync --preallocate", so large files are stored "as contiguosly
as possible".

> > AVG Filesize? Directory structure? Fragmentation?
>
> mixed

That is what average means:
Total number of files divided by total filesize. You have already determined
the total file size.
Now you only need to: $(find /source -type f | wc -l)

Any given set of files has an AVG.

--

Matthias