On Sun 02 Jun 2024, Chris Green via rsync wrote:

> I have an rsync daemon running on a 64-bit (x86_64) system which I
> successfully use for backups from several other 64-bit systems on my
> LAN.
>
> I want to use it for backups from a BeagleBone Black (32-bit, armv7l)
> but it fails as follows:-
>
>     root@bbb:~# rsync -a /etc chris@backup::bbb
>     Password:
>     pre-xfer exec returned failure (256)
>     rsync error: requested action not supported (code 4) at
>     clientserver.c(1171) [Receiver=3.2.7]
>     rsync: [sender] read error: Connection reset by peer (104)
>     root@bbb:~#
>
> Is it simply not possible to do what I'm trying to do or is there some
> way to tell the rsync daemon to work with connections from 32-bit
> clients?

There should be no problem communicating between 32-bit and 64-bit
systems with rsync.

Make sure that the versions of rsync aren't too different, you may run
into problems with rsync options not being supported on the old one.

The error message says that there was a problem with the pre-xfer exec.
Check what that's doing (in the daemon's rsyncd.conf), most probably
that is the problem.

Paul