On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:10:10 +0000
Rainer Gerhards wrote:

Hi,

> Are you dropping privileges? A common mistake is to use wrong file
> permissions, and this leads to exactly what you describe. Rainer

nope.

# grep -ir drop /etc/rsyslog*
#

I run it as root.

root     26641     1  0 Dec17 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/rsyslogd -i
/var/run/syslogd.pid -c 5

I've attached a debug log. It's from a host where syslog starts but
does not log.

** I dont' know if this is relevant or not, but  I've seen that this is
happening to all machines which have a new logrotate (file for other
service):

# grep . /etc/logrotate.d/sge |grep -v \#
/usr/share/gridengine/cluster1/common/accounting {
    compress
    missingok
    rotate 356
    notifempty
    daily
        prerotate
        /usr/bin/rsync -va /usr/share/gridengine/cluster1/common/
XXXX::sge_account
        endscript
}

hosts that don't have this file have their syslog working fine.

As I said, I don't know if it's related an how, cause restrting the
service by hand (service rsyslog restart) does nothing...

sorry about the vague question, but I'm really lost with this issue...

Cheers,
Arnau