From: rsyslog-boun...@lists.adiscon.com
[mailto:rsyslog-boun...@lists.adiscon.com] On Behalf Of David Lang
Sent: 11 March 2013 21:36
To: rsyslog-users
Subject: Re: [rsyslog] Big issues with Rsyslog listening on port 514
with IMRELP

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013, Nicolas HAHN wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm writing for the first time to this mailing-list in the hope that
somebody already experimented the issue I describe below.

> At first, here is the Linux server profile on which is running
Rsyslog, if it can have an importance:
> - Server type: physical and dedicated (not a VM). HP Proliant
> - OS: RHEL 6.4 (yum updated this morning)
> - Arch: x86_64
> - Nb CPU cores: 24
> - RAM: 256 GB
> - Storage: 3.6 TB with Hardware RAID-5
> - Network: 4 nics with 2 bonding interfaces
> - SELINUX is totally disabled
> - There are absolutely no iptables rules defined
>
> Here below are the rsyslog packages installed:
> rsyslog-7.2.6-1.el6.x86_64
> rsyslog-pgsql-7.2.6-1.el6.x86_64
> rsyslog-relp-7.2.6-1.el6.x86_64
> libestr-0.1.3-1.el6.x86_64
> librelp-1.0.1-1.el6.x86_64
> libee-0.4.1-1.el6.x86_64
>
> Here below is the description of the issue:
>
> 1) we use Rsyslog with imrelp module, on port TCP-20514
> 2) at first, we don't send traffic on Rsyslog, we can see that the
daemon is listening on port 20514:
> # netstat -ann | grep 514
> tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:20514               0.0.0.0:*
LISTEN
> tcp        0      0 :::20514                    :::*
LISTEN

> 3) as soon as syslog traffic is sent to the server, imrelp stop to
listen. A few remote servers only were successfully bound to the server
port, and finally rsyslog connections with the remote senders stop.
Remains finally only one or two connected remote servers. Doing a
netstat, the first line in copy above is not there: imrelp is not
listening any more.
> 4) if we do a tcpdump -nni bond0 port 20514 on the rsyslog server,
suddenly Rsyslog daemon take 100% of one CPU core. We've seen it eating
until 140%.
> 5) if we do a telnet from any remote server to the rsyslog server on
port 20514, then the connection is refused. It's not possible to connect
on the rsyslog daemon, even locally (telnet localhost 20514).

This makes me thing that you have SELinux or firewall rules blocking
you.

> We tried since 5 days, so many things:
> 1) we tried originally to use imrelp on port 514 (instead of 20514
now), same issues
> 2) we tried versions 5.10.x, latest version 6, same issues

> 3) we tried to run rsyslog in debug mode: symptoms are the same in
debug mode.
> it still loose its ability to LISTEN on the port, and debug mode stops
> display things on the screen. But rsyslog is still running in the
process
> table with its -d flag.

when rsyslog stops, what shows up in the debug logs?

David Lang

> 4) we tried to configure rsyslog to use imtcp on port 514 instead of
imrelp on
> port 514 or whatever other port. Here, it never loose its ability to
accept
> connections and to listen on the network socket. In debug mode, we
have
> permanently things appearing on the display.

> 5) we have other rsyslog servers based on RHEL 5.x (latest 5.10
version,
> including also IMRELP and PGSQL modules): they are running like a
charm using
> exactly the same /etc/rsyslog.conf
>
> In conclusion:
> -this issue is of course very annoying, we cannot understand what is
happening: all other daemons correctly listen on their socket and never
loose it (postgresql database, ssh daemon, http server, ...)
> - we absolutely need to use our rsyslog server with RELP module, and
this is the only one not working for now
> - we cannot explain why rsyslog cannot keep its network socket and
keep listening on it.

> We would really need to know if other users experimented the same
behavior, and if yes, if they found solutions.
> We would really appreciate any help on that, and if the reason why
those issues are found, an urgent fix :-)

> If you ask us to post the rsyslog.conf file, we can do it but we'll
have to "hide" various things ;-)

> Thank you very much for any help
>
> KR.
> Nicolas
> -
> United Nations International Computing Center
> Geneva

if you DON'T LIKE THAT.

DON'T LIKE THAT.
NOTICE AND DISCLAIMER

This email (including attachments) is confidential. If you are not the intended
recipient, notify the sender immediately, delete this email from your system
and do not disclose or use for any purpose.

Deutsche Telekom (UK) Limited

Company Registered Number: 3951860

Registered Office Address: Hatfield Business Park, Hatfield, Hertfordshire,
AL10 9BW

Registered in England and Wales