On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 07:38 +0000, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-03-26 at 12:26 -0700, Gary Foster wrote:
> > FWIW it does work properly *inside* a template.
> That was the misunderstanding. These are *template* constructs, so they
> are not supposed to work anywhere else. As you posted the example in
> your initial mail and said you had this in the template, I assume that
> this was the actual excerpt from your template.
>
> As I wrote, there currently is no regex extraction function in
> RainerScript. I could probably add one relatively quickly, but that
> would be of "fire and forget" type - I mean you would not be able to
> save submatches for later reuse or such. In other words: the performance
> would be far from being great for at least some use cases.
>
> I would envision something along the lines of
>
> set $!var = regex_extract($msg, "regex-here", submatch-to-use)
> where submatch-to-use would be 0 to get the full match.
>
> Would that help?

In any case, this sounded useful for a couple of cases and as I had some
time left, I have something implemented along these lines:

http://git.adiscon.com/?p=rsyslog.git;a=commitdiff;h=1b2f93da31d0331244aa7c72068f4ec324e2cb71

(sparse) doc is here - search for "re_extract" on the page:
http://www.rsyslog.com/doc/rainerscript.html

Will be released as part of 7.3.10.

Rainer