On Tue, 2013-03-26 at 12:26 -0700, Gary Foster wrote:
> FWIW it does work properly *inside* a template.
That was the misunderstanding. These are *template* constructs, so they
are not supposed to work anywhere else. As you posted the example in
your initial mail and said you had this in the template, I assume that
this was the actual excerpt from your template.

As I wrote, there currently is no regex extraction function in
RainerScript. I could probably add one relatively quickly, but that
would be of "fire and forget" type - I mean you would not be able to
save submatches for later reuse or such. In other words: the performance
would be far from being great for at least some use cases.

I would envision something along the lines of

set $!var = regex_extract($msg, "regex-here", submatch-to-use)
where submatch-to-use would be 0 to get the full match.

Would that help?

Rainer