I suggest

http://www.monitorware.com/en/topics/syslog/

Especially the seminar.

Sent from phone, thus brief.

Von: Josh Bitto <jbi...@onlineschool.ca>
Datum: 03.04.2013 21:49 (GMT+01:00)
An: rsyslog-users <rsyslog@lists.adiscon.com>
Betreff: Re: [rsyslog] Allocating certain logs to certain files

Okie dokie....

Would these if then statements work for windows events?

Basically here is my goal...

I want to use splunk as a Management tool for my logs (free version is 500 mb
volume/24 hour period) ....but I want rsyslog to forward log files to my
central log server.
In order to stay under that 500mb limit for the whole network. I want to
determine what is an acceptable exclusion for indexing data from a file source.
The file source would be what you just helped me with.

The coding that I had before made my log files for messages huge.

So could you help me understand what $syslogseverity <= '6' means?

I want to log the important stuff and exlude stuff that doesn't really matter
for both linux and windows logs.

Note: the windows side will be much easier because there are applications that
allow you to send logs of whatever log file you want. The linux not so much.