What I do with splunk is that I have my clients send all the logs up to my central server, and Splunk server. I then have the rsyslog on the Splunk server write the logs that I want splunk to index into a file and then throw all the other logs away. I roll the log from where it's written into a splunk sinkhole directory once a minute.

David Lang