> On Wed, 5 Nov 2014, Thomas D. wrote:
>
>  Hi,
>>
>> Rainer, are you following some Git workflows currently?
>>
>> Actual, the rsyslog commit history is quiet bad. You see many merges but
>> don't understand where they came from. They just appear ;)
>>
>> If you are the only guy committing to master (=your feature branches are
>> *not* public), try to squash & rebase instead of doing a merge.
>>

> The feature branches are public in the adiscon git repository.
>
> doing a squash will make it harder to bisect.
>
> When I've looked at the git history, there are a lot of merges at the top
> of the history because he develops on a feature branch, merges with the
> oldest supported version, then merges up to the next version, then the
> next, etc. This has the advantage that git does a lot of the conflict
> resolution for him as changes creep in over versions, but does make for an
> uglier history.

Almost correct, except that real feature branches  never go into the old
versions, because new features always go into -devel. What you see is
bugfixes. And, yes, it safes a lot of time applying them to the oldest
branch and merging them up. That way, I was able to maintain old -strictly
considered unsupported- branches together with the current one with no real
effort.

> As the -devel branch is dropped, I think it will help clean things up
> because everything in the master won't be a merge from -devel (which is
> merges from feature branches)

So unfortunately this will not change much.

> Rainer, instead of merging into the oldest supported version and then
> merging from there to the latest, can you try merging the feature branch
> separately into each supported version?

Ah, that's quite a bit of hassle. I rather prefer to no longer maintain the
old and unsupported branches. I think I have no problem with that. The old
datacenter mind of "keep old stuff running" doesn't seem to be so important
in any case these days. Just think about all those folks that don't want to
upgrade even their existing version "because the distro does not ship the
fixed version". So strictly speaking, I am probably better off forking an
Adiscon-internal repro where we keep such stuff for our (unfortunately few)
support customers. The more I think about it, the more sense it makes...
This could even draw some more interest in support contracts and thus
enable sponsorship for all the cool things discussed here.

Thanks!
Rainer